The Health and Safety Consultant keeping small business safe
    Home » RIDDOR

Recording and Reporting Accidents

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR)

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR) require employers to record all workplace accidents and to report some of them and certain reportable diseases and dangerous occurrences to the authorities.  

RIDDOR applies to all employers (including the self-employed) and covers everyone at work (including those on work experience and similar schemes and self employed workers engaged by you).  It also includes non-workers, such as visitors or members of the public affected by the work.

Reportable Accidents:

Employers must keep a record of all accidents but only accidents that are work related and are reportable need to be reported.

All deaths to workers and non-workers must be reported if they arise from a work-related accident, including an act of physical violence to a worker. Suicides are not reportable, as the death does not result from a work-related accident.

Specified injuries to workers
The list of ‘specified injuries’ in RIDDOR 2013 (regulation 4) includes:

a facture, other than to fingers, thumbs and toes;
amputation of an arm, hand, finger, thumb, leg, foot or toe;
permanent loss of sight or reduction of sight;
crush injuries leading to internal organ damage;
serious burns
scalpings (separation of skin from the head) which require hospital treatment;
unconsciousness caused by head injury or asphyxia;
any other injury arising from working in an enclosed space, which leads to hypothermia, heat-induced illness or requires resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours.

Over-seven-day injuries to workers
This is where an employee, or self-employed person, is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days (not counting the day of the accident). You must still keep a record of what used to be known as over three-day-injuries but not only need to report over-seven-day-injuries

For a full list of reportable injuries, including injuries to members of the public, dangerous occurances and reportable illnesses see the HSE Guidance.

To make a report contact the HSE online

You must keep details of all accidents in your accident book.

Email us to help you conduct a full investigation of your accident or call us on 01452 864 213

If this free information was useful, please recommend us or like us on our Facebook Page.

Like us on Facebook for Free Updates Like us on our Facebook Business Page for Free Legal Updates


Additional Reading:

Reporting Accidents and Work-Related Incidents

Investigating Accidents